Butterfly eggs on a raspberry plant
A micro-crack in steel
Needle and thread
E.coli bacteria on lettuce
Beard hairs under a scanning electron microscope: cut with razor (left) and electric shaver (right)
A moth wing
Leaf of a Virginia spiderwort
it’s okay to draw shitty pictures. it’s okay to practice and not get something and make a pile of ugly, shitty drawings that make you want to flip a table. not everything you draw has to be awesome. you don’t even have to fix everything you make that’s shitty. you can look at it and go hey this is really shitty, and this is why, and fold it into a paper airplane. don’t be embarrassed of your failures. don’t feel dumb when you don’t know how to draw something. that knowledge is not built into you or anyone else.
it’s easy to draw a shitty leg or whatever and think ‘dang, this seems so simple, someone else could have drawn this same thing right in eight seconds, i should know how to do this it’s only a leg i’ve got two jammed onto my own ass’ but no matter who you compare yourself to i guarantee they’ve sat around thinking to themselves, ‘dang this is a shitty ______ i just did, everyone makes it look so easy’ and they’ve made piles of shitty drawings too, ones that took them hours and hours and still looked massively shitty, even. don’t get so MAD when you do it, stop sweating all over your tablet with your meaty anger fists. you want to make something and uh oh you can’t? well you’re going to learn how a lot faster if you aren’t sticking your thumb up your ass in protest simmer down
REALLY just wanna take this chance to remind the people who follow me to not kill/trap opossums if they’re in your yard, and do not call animal control! Seriously.
- Opossums are literally 100% BIOLOGICALLY INCAPABLE of carrying rabies. Their body temperature is too cool to incubate it properly.
- Opossums are actually quite gentle and NOCTURNAL, so if they’re roaming, they’ve probably gotten lost, been injured, and are looking for a place to hide.
- Young opossums tend to try to climb into garbage cans when they’re starving. This is because THEY ARE LITERALLY STARVING. Don’t fucking shoot them or hit them with things because you wanna be some fucking macho top-of-the-food-chain cocksucker.
- Mama possums are amazing mothers and if you encounter an “aggressive” opossum, it’s probably because she’s got babies hanging off her nipple and she’s freaking out. They’re clumsy. Sometimes they don’t hear you coming and you catch each other off guard.
- Wanna lure an opossum off of your property? You can set up a box with some greens and cat kibble in it, hide it well, and lure them out that way. They’re actually quite harmless and keep other predators away. they eat lotsa gross stuff.
- Opossum mamas who get hit by cars often still have their helpless babies attached to them. Possums get a bad rep and people say they are “the dumbest animal”, but they are incredible creatures who have been around since the days of fucking dinosaurs so treat them well, okay?
really wanna put this out there because I’ve grown up surrounded by shitty hillbilly/redneck mentality that possums are vicious animals that are naturally rabid and in actuality they are harmless especially if you leave them the fuck alone like you should MOST ANIMALS
Major life events in comics!
I document so much of my life in comics, it seemed … lazy?… to neglect such a big part of it. I’ve been trying to get this one out for a while, but i’m not prone to sappiness or self-aggrandizing (despite what making endless comics about myself might imply) so i had a hard time figuring out an approach.
So i went with honesty :)
Last year Lucy Knisley told the story of her engagement in a heartfelt and open comic that i really respected. I respect ALL of her work, her comics are awesome, if you’ve never checked them out you totally should. In sitting down to tell my own story it made me think about what getting married means to me. I’m sure it means something slightly different to everyone, but is by no means any less meaningful. But crystallizing that idea helped me here.
I was sweaty and gross and said “Yeah. Sure.” and Jason didn’t change his mind. I think we’re gonna be alright :)
LISSA GOT ENGAGED AND MADE A COMIC ABOUT IT ahgbluhbluhhhuhuhu *happy sobbing*
Liss and I have been buds since I was first whipped into a seething jealous rage upon seeing her art in middle school (how has it been that LONG, good lord), and she found a top notch dude in Jason and, and, and… I just couldn’t be happier for them. Those sweet bastards deserve each other. <3
An alligator dies. Its tombstone reads "See you later."
wow im sad now